Canadian Progress Club Halifax Cornwallis is honoured and very proud to have received the National recognition of Club of the Year for 2013-2014. This honour is awarded to a club each year at National Convention, and is only given to Clubs that excel in areas of fundraising, community service and club operations. We are also so proud of member Vanessa Jones for being awarded the Progression of the Year award. An outstanding personal accomplishment!
The Canadian Progress Club Halifax Cornwallis Charitable Foundation (CPC Halifax Cornwallis) is a committed group of volunteer women totally focused on helping those in need in our community since 1988. The Halifax Cornwallis chapter is one of the most active and successful Progress Clubs in Canada. We are proud to support Phoenix, HomeBridge Youth Society, Adsum House and Nova Scotia Special Olympics locally, and Canadian Special Olympics nationally.
Our Signature Event
Progress Women of Excellence Awards
November 19, 2014 – World Trade & Convention Centre
Purchase your Tickets today so you don’t miss out on this great event.
The Progress Women of Excellence Awards Gala takes place each November. Hosted by the Canadian Progress Club Halifax Cornwallis, 2014 marks the 25th year for this prestigious event! This annual fundraiser, hosted in support of Phoenix is the only one of its kind in the Province. It honours 19 inspirational women who play an important role in our community. Women at the pinnacle of their professions are recognized in the following categories: Arts and Culture, Communications/Public Affairs, Education and Research, Entrepreneur/Innovator, Health Sport and Wellness, Management and the Professions, Young Woman of Distinction and in 2009 the first recipient of the Women of Excellence Life Time Achievement Award Ruth Goldbloom was honoured.
Over 40 volunteers work hundreds of hours to ensure this evening is both successful and memorable. Through honoring these women, Progress Club not only raises vital funds, but also works to increase Phoenix’s profile in the community. This evening helps to restore hope and dignity to the lives of youth who need a second chance.
To date, well over $1 million has been raised for Phoenix Youth.
The nomination process for the awards begins in May. In September, a selection committee scrutinizes numerous nominees to select recipients. Each year, a young woman from Phoenix is invited to share her story and inspire the hundreds of people in attendance – a magical night, indeed.
2014 Progress Women of Excellence Recipients:
Young Woman of Distinction
– Habiba Cooper Diallo – Executive Director, Women’s Health Organization International
Management and the Professions
– Christa Brothers – Partner, Stewart McKelvey
– Ann Mellema – Director – Programs Governance, Irving Shipbuilding
– Suzanne LaRochelle-Bachur – President, Premiere Executive Suites/Atlantic Limited
Arts and Culture
– Mary Vingoe – Freelance director/playwright
– Stephanie Young – Filmmaker (Self-employed), Peer Support Worker – Laing House
– Vicki Grant – Writer (Self-employed)
Communications and Public Affairs
– Alison DeLory – Communications Professional – Mount Saint Vincent University/Freelance
– Margaret (Peggy) Issenman – Owner – Peggy & Co Design
– Sherri Aikenhead – A/Managing Director – Communications Nova Scotia
– Diandra Phipps – Owner/Operator – En Vie
– Elana Liberman – Owner/CEO – Cyclone Studios Inc
– Ulrike Bahr-Gedalia – President & CEO – Digital Nova Scotia
Education and Research
– Dr. Sherry Stewart – Professor of Psychiatry, Psychology/Neuroscience and Community Health and Epidemiology – Dalhousie University
– Maryanne Fisher-MacDonnell – Professor – Saint Mary’s University
– Dr. Shelly Whitman – Executive Director – The Romeo Dallaire Child Soldiers Initiative
Health, Sport and Wellness
– Dr. Elaine Gordan Cragg – DDS, Retired
– Dr. Erin Kempt-Sutherland – Chiropractic Doctor/Clinic Owner – Choice Chiropractic & Integrated Health Centre Inc
– Amanda Layton-Malone – Head Coach – Canada Games Centre Dive Team
Lifetime Achievement Award
– Hon. Myra Freeman
Bryony House is having a Dare to Dream Home Lottery, many prizes to be won so purchase your tickets today.